Summer is here and the time is right for enjoying blueberries. Can I get a collective “Woot! Woot!” Please? Thank you, Dear Readers. There are many reasons to eat blueberries but how about the plain and simple fact these little blue balls of wonder taste delicious! The facts they are; good for you, antioxidant-loaded, heart healthy, help with digestion, blah, blah, is great and all but how about the over-looked fact that blueberries are just plain fun to eat? They are SO cute and easy to pop in your mouth. The “smile power” of blueberries in under appreciated I say. What to do? What to do? Add them to your dishes of course!
I bet you’re thinking, ‘Dah Mary.’ How do I add them to my dishes?’ Lucky for you, Dear Readers, I am a genius-mind reader AND here to help! Yay! Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Toss them on a salad.
2. Make a quick homemade jam.
3. Add them to muffins and pies.
4. Throw a handful into yogurt or oatmeal or cereal.
5. Add them to a smoothy.
6. Make granita.
7. Spread them into a single layer on a sheet pan and freeze them for later uses. (Store the frozen berries in a resealable bag.)
8. Add frozen berries to lemonade.
9. Add frozen berries to sangria.
10. Use them in savory dishes.
11. Add fresh berries to a cheese plate.
12. Spread fresh goat cheese or nut butter on whole grain toast and top with fresh berries for breakfast or a light lunch or snack.
Please share your favorite way to share enjoy blueberries in the comments section.
Avid home cook and passionate instructor