Spring brings many lovely moments. The first blooms of a season. New growth. Wild herbs. Planting. New life. Hatchlings. Mother's Day...
Wait... Mother's Day! Did you forget? SHAME on you! Well, it's not too late! Dash outside and harvest! Quick! Say what? Harvest? NOT dash out to the nearest store and spend? Nope!
'What could I harvest?' you may be asking yourself? Well, edible flowers and herbs you probably pick as weeds for one. Yep. You guessed it. Natures little gifts, violas and violets and herbs such as mint. What to do? Below I offer two easy options:
1. Harvest the flowers or herb.
2. Wash them free of any pollen.
3. Set them to dry on a paper towel.
4. Option 1: Candy them by brushing them with egg whites and then dusting them with sugar.
5. Set the sugared beauties on a rack to dry completely.
6. Bake or buy some cupcakes and top with the candied flower or herb.
7. Option 2: Allow the flowers and herbs to dry completely on the towel, bloom or leaf down. (Flowers and herbs may also be dried in the microwave. Flowers take seconds and herbs only minutes. Reference the internet once you harvest.)
8. Place the dried blooms or herbs in a food processor along with some sugar and blitz. Ta-Da! Viola (or violet) or mint sugar.
9. Package the sugar up and present to Mom OR make her some sugar cookies (homemade or a mix) and sprinkle the top with the flower or herb sugar before baking.
10. Present Mom with tissues for either Option 1 or Option 2.
Mom's are SO easy to please! We appreciate a handmade card. We appreciate someone cleaning our kitchen or weeding our yard... We appreciate help about the house... We appreciate a yummy treat...
Small kindnesses can and will make anyone's day but on Mother's Day of ALL days, do a little something EXTRA special for that mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend or neighbor, who is a mothering inspiration in your life. Both she and you will smile a little bigger and feel a LOT better if you do!
Avid home cook and passionate instructor