I apologize. I lied. The upcoming "List" (to stay with our theme this week) is really about The Summer Sickie List BUT I had to rope you in some how right? I mean, who wants to read about a Summer Sickie List? YOU of course! Who doesn't want to learn about way to stay (or get) health(ier)? EVERYONE wants that List! Thats who!
As per the previous posts, please add to this list in the comments section so we can continue to support and help each other through this wild ride called, Life.
The Summer Wellness List:
1. Hugs, kisses and encouraging words (This is numero uno on my list because it falls under my second favorite "F" word category. Yep, you guessed it, FREE! Not to mention the single best cure for what ails ya.)
2. Rest (I say "rest" here because, well, sleep is only for unicorns.)
3. Vitamins (If you, or someone you love, or even barely like, is ill OR "down" often, have your (or encourage them to have their) levels checked for vitamins like D, zinc and/or magnesium) and of course consume your vitamins in the food form and take your C in all its yummy and easy to port about forms.
4. Chicken soup (STOP rolling your eyes! Make or buy the best you can afford, preferably organic and always low sodium. Remember, READ those labels!) This stuff works! Read all about it!
5. Coffee and/or tea (Gottcha! This is for us care givers who have to live with and/or spend time around a Summer Sickie and need a good jolt to get/keep going.)
6. Honey (Great for sore throats.)
7. Lemon, ginger, mint, lavender and/or chamomile (Great for upset tummies.) I have mint, lavender and chamomile in my yard. I dry the lavender and chamomile to make a tea and use the mint fresh. Herbs in general are my personal obsession (as far as the garden goes) because they take care of themselves. Short of loping off the flowers now and then, there is nothing they need. Plus, they fall into my favorite word category, FREE. Ginger comes in mints, chews, candied, gum, whatever. I like a ginger chew as a dessert and it settles my stomach. I adore a British treat called, Humbugs, which are a strong peppermint candy that have a chewy, molasses-based center. They are also great for a light treat and settle my stomach. In fact, I keep a good, strong, mint gum in my bag in case of an upset stomach. I chew it for a short while and it always helps to settle my stomach. Gum is cheap and easy to carry and can even help you concentrate.
8. Exercise (Stretch, walk, garden or, if you're mentally unhinged, run. Running is not a natural form of exercise to me... Running is what you do when something/someone is chasing you! ONLY then, run!) My children think I am a little (ok a LOT) nuts because I exercise when I am not feeling my best, maybe especially when I am not feeling my best, and I always feel better. Those days I stick to a yoga-type, stretching routine. I also stretch every evening to help me unwind and relax.)
Well, that is my short and sweet Summer Wellness List, or anytime Wellness List really. Grab a cuppa, take a deep breath, stroll about your garden and do something that makes you smile. Better yet, do something that makes someone else smile...
Avid home cook and passionate instructor