'Christmas doesn't come in a store.' "Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!"
Have you lost sight of what Christmas is really about? Are you feeling like a Grinch? The iconic words above, written by Dr. Seuss in "How The Grinch Stole Christmas!" ring true now and always, Dear Readers. Christmas is not about the "stuff." Christmas is about making the heart of someone soar with delight! Christmas is about "Heart Memories."
"Heart Memories" are little bits of delight to reflect upon, any time of the year, when you feel like a Grinch. The Grinch is angry because he is lonely, afraid and sad. I think loneliness, fear and sorrow are the three main triggers of anger and feeling like a Grinch. What to do? What to do?
Well, Dear Readers, the answer is very simple and budget-friendly. BUT, more importantly, the answer connects your heart to the exact meaning of Christmas! Yep! "Heart Memories!" I blogged a few days ago about cooking coupons but what if you gave someone you love another type of coupon? A coupon you could share together? What if that coupon was for the whole family! Today, I offer some ideas for "Heart Memory" coupons.
1. One drive to the mountains to see the snow/view. (Pack a picnic and something lovely to sip like wine, hot chocolate, etc.)
2. One family recipe writing/exchanging day. (Serve tea and nibbles while you spend the day writing out recipes and sharing memories.)
3. One dance lesson. (This could be ballroom, or folk. Lessons that connect you to your heritage would be really great.)
4. One bird watching walk. (Take binoculars and a guide book and just spend some time exploring a place near you.)
5. One wine trail drive. (Offer to be the designated driver to a special couple in your life that enjoy wine but cannot go because they need a driver.)
6. One babysitting coupon. You watch the kids while the couple have an evening out together. You get to connect with the little ones and they get to connect with each other.
7. One "help around the garden" coupon.
8. One "clean the house" coupon.
9. One massage coupon.
10. One dinner delivery coupon.
11. One day spent telling family stores and writing them down to pass on to future generations. As special family members pass away, their stories go with them... Please, take the time to ask questions NOW! I believe this idea is the best on this little suggestion list.
Get the picture, Dear Readers. Nothing above comes from a store, just love.
Share your suggestions in the comments section.
Avid home cook and passionate instructor