I haven’t been eating as I should and my joints and ego are feeling it- big time. What to do? What to do? One thing. Make better choices. Dah. Right? Right. Again I ask, what to do? The short and simple answer of ‘make better choices’ is obvious but easy to do, even though we know we should. I thought I would review some healthy choices that satisfy yet are not too fattening and are enjoyable to eat. A sort of slim pick’ns list to help us get on track.
1. For something salty? Air popped, lightly salted, organic popcorn. Mix it up by using different kinds of corn kernels.
2. Dried fruit and dark chocolate for something sweet.
3. Graham crackers with peanut butter and jam.
4. Popsicles for something cold and refreshing.
5. Breakfast? How about whole grain toast with nut butter and fresh fruit on top instead of jam?
6. Toss together crispy salad greens with lemon juice, smoked salt, feta cheese and top it with a fried egg.
7. Use one piece of bread to make an open face sandwich and skip the top piece.
8. Eat red sauce over vegetables and squash curls and skip the pasta.
9. Swap ground chicken for beef and make spicy tacos.
10. Exchange ice cream for sorbet or sherbet.
Avid home cook and passionate instructor